Ironman brand owner World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) has released its event schedule for the 2013 Ironman European Tour, which features 9 Ironman events and 12 Ironman 70.3 races. These include the Frankfurter Sparkasse Ironman European Championship (held on 7 July 2013) and the Sparkassen Finanzgruppe Ironman 70.3 European Championship (on 11 August 2013).
Although, after adding races in Sweden, Norway and Austria to its 2012 Ironman European Tour calendar, WTC has decided to remove Ironman Regensburg, Ironman 70.3 Ireland/Galway and the formerly licensed Ironman 70.3 Antwerp from its 2013 schedule.
The organisers of IM 70.3 Ireland/Galway have stated that they are ‘currently working with the authorities to confirm the 2013 event so the event has currently not been included in the confirmed Ironman European Tour schedule released [on Friday 5 October]‘.
“Together with the city of Regensburg, we tried to find a date that would suit our athletes, the local community and the WTC’s Ironman European Tour calendar. Unfortunately, a suitable date for 2013 could not be set,” said Kai Walter, WTC’s Managing Director, International Operations Europe and Managing Director Germany.
It is hoped that a new date in 2014 will be found for the Regensburg event, which has been a popular race in Germany. In three years the event had four German champions: 2005 Ironman World Champion Faris Al-Sultan and Sonja Tasjich in 2010, Markus Fachbach in 2011 (American Mary Beth Ellis won the women’s race) and Heidi Sessner in 2012 (Luxemburg’s Dirk Bockel won the men’s title this year).
Athletes who were interested in competing at Ironman Regensburg may wish to look at entering either Ironman Nice-France or Ironman Zurich, the two events closest on the calendar to last year’s Regensburg event that still have entries available.
Long considered one of the classic events on the calendar, IM Zurich features a swim in crystal clear Lake Zurich, a diverse bike course that features both long, flat stretches along the lake and some epic climbs into the Swiss mountains and a beautiful run course along the lake. The spectacular event can be a family affair, too, thanks to a weekend that includes IronKids, short distance and relay races.
Nice in France has a rich history of hosting some of the world’s top triathlon races. The day begins with a swim in the beautiful blue waters of the Mediterranean Sea, a challenging bike course through the mountains and a spectator-friendly marathon along the Promenade des Anglais.
2013 Ironman European Tour schedule:
- Spec Savers IM 70.3 South Africa – 20 January 2013
- Spec Savers IM South Africa – 14 April 2013
- Thomas Cook IM 70.3 Mallorca, Spain – 11 May 2013
- IM Lanzarote Canarias, Spain – 18 May 2013
- IM 70.3 St. Pölten, Austria – 26 May 2013
- BMC IM 70.3 Switzerland in Rapperswil-Jona – 2 June 2013
- IM 70.3 Pescara, Italy – 9 June 2013
- IM 70.3 Berlin, Germany – 16 June 2013
- IM 70.3 Exmoor, UK – 16 June 2013
- IM France, Nice – 23 June 2013
- IM Austria, Klagenfurt – 30 June 2013
- Frankfurter Sparkasse IM European Championship, Germany – 7 July 2013
- IM 70.3 Haugesund, Norway – 7 July 2013
- IM Zurich, Switzerland – powered by ewz – 28 July 2013
- IM UK, Bolton – 4 August 2013
- Sparkassen Finanzgruppe IM 70.3 European Championship Wiesbaden, Germany – 11 August 2013
- IM Sweden, Kalmar – 17 August 2013
- IM 70.3 Pays d’Aix, France – 25 August 2013
- IM 70.3 Zell am See-Kaprun, Austria – 1 September 2013
- IM Wales, Pembrokeshire – 8 September 2013
- IM 70.3 Lanzarote, Spain – 10 November 2013
11 December at 19 : 56 PM 0
11 December at 12 : 20 PM 0
11 December at 11 : 33 AM 0
11 December at 06 : 46 AM 0